Curried Millet with Chickpeas and Currants
- 1½ cups cooked millet
- 3 cups of water or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ cup crushed cashews
- ½ cup cauliflower, chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
To toast millet, heat in a sauce pan for five minutes, stirring occasionally. To cook millet, with tsp of salt add in cauliflower, bring to a boil then simmer 20-25 minutes until water is absorbed. * If you leave it alone as it cooks, you’ll get fluffy grains like rice.
After, heat the oil in a saucepan, sauté onions until translucent. Add the cauliflower, currants, curry powder, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper and stir.
Finally add the, chickpeas, cashews, and cooked millet for several minutes on low heat, covered until chickpeas absorb all of the flavor.
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup pitted kalamat olives, rinsed and sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 ounces organic feta cheese crumbled
Combine lentils, garlic, oregano, bay leaf and cinnamon stick in saucepan and over with broth by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then cover, lower the heat, and simmer until lentils are tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain the lentils throroughly and discard the whole spices
In a separate bowl, whisk olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin and salt together. Toss the lentil with vinaigrette, refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Stir in bell pepper, cucumber, olives, mint, and parsley and combine. Add salt, and pepper, lemon juice, and feta cheese on top.
Maple Mustard Tempeh
- 2 8oz packages tempeh
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, minced
- 2 Tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
Preheat oven to 425F. Slice tempeh in half. IN small bowl whisk all ingredients together and pour over tempeh in a shallow baking dish. Marinate for 30 minutes. Place the tempeh in oven and roast 10 minutes. Flip and continue to roast for ten minutes.