I was not only addicted to coffee, but artificial sweeteners too. Every morning on my commute into Coach, I would get a medium Dunkin Donuts coffee, french vanilla, skim milk with two splendas. Right around 2’o’clock, you know that afternoon “crash” I would have a diet coke, or maybe an iced coffee with two more splenda.
For years my father had told me, “You are so healthy Rebecca, why do you keep drinking those chemicals?!” Well not only did I have no idea how bad they were, but I was truly addicted!!
After doing some research, I found that these chemicals really are linked to cancer and they are hidden in products I would have never thought of. Many of us know our sugar free gum or dannon light n fit has them, but dId you know they are found in toothpaste, chap stick, jelly, protein bars, ketchup, pudding, pickles and the list goes on. How gross!
And now to make matter worse, artificial sweeteners won’t curb your appetite and make you thinner! In fact, research states there is a link between artificial sweeteners and weight gain, obesity!!
1) Read your labels, look for names including Acesulfame- K, Aspartame, Neotame, Saccharin, and Sucralose
2) Who needs coffee, when you can have a green smoothie. I get all the energy I need first thing in the morning with my infamous green goddess….1/2 avocado, 2 stalks of kale, 4 slices of cucumber, 1/2 lemon, 1 T of flax seed grounded, 1 cup of water, * to sweeten add 1-2 dates or drop of stevia:)
3) If you need that warm comfort in the morning, make yourself a vanilla latte by heating up some unsweetened almond milk with a dash of cinnamon, stevia, and cacoa powder if you wish.
4) But if you feel that you really really need to have that coffee, switch to herbal coffee and add stevia- (herbal sweetener recommended for diabetics)
5) ) Instead of that diet coke mid afternoon, try coconut water or coconut juice- packed with electrolytes, antioxidants, refreshing, and will increase your energy level)
If I can do it, so can you! Good health is contagious:)